Thursday, May 13, 2021

Walter Goldwater

Mr. Walter Goldwater

I first joined the Marshall Chess Club at the height of the Fischer boom.  The president of the club was  Walter_Goldwater.    I wouldn't attempt a biography, but to give you an idea of his scholarly achievements, he was the founder of the Walter Goldwater Radical Pamphlet Collection  at UC Davis.

He was said to be a millionaire.  He maintained power as club president mainly because some of the board members thought he would leave the club money.  That did not happen when he died of leukemia in 1985.   He had a long administration.   Not only did he maintain the presidency, but his employee Bill French had an apartment in the building.  If it was free or below market, I don't know for certain.

Future IA William Goichberg observing as
GM Robert Fischer plays in Havana tournament at
rear center window of the Marshall Chess Club.  
Towards the end of his administration, many of the younger players had left for Bill Goichberg's establishment, The Bar Point, which later became Steve Immitt's Chess Center of New York.  Most of the earlier patrons had left the Marshall, had died or had been driven out by the rambunctious Fischer Era players.  But it could not be said that no one wanted the to be president.  Two who served on the Board with Mr. Goldwater -- Dr Milton Finkelstein and Mr. Gary Sperling went on to become club president.

Mr. Goldwater was an anarchist.  I had no knowledge of his scholarly achievements at the time.  This assessment is based on conversations with him while on his Board and while working as an assistant manager.  One time I resigned from the Board, and months later I changed my mind and just started going to meetings again.  He defended me saying I showed initiative by putting myself back on the Board. 
GM William Lombardy

 
It was during Mr. Goldwater's presidency that board members were first nominated from the floor rather than the Nominating Committee. First there Alex Sheldon and then myself, being the youngest board member up to that time.  Anyone who thought the club was ever a democracy is mistaken.  The election are generally controlled by those already on the board. Also there has always been an inner board, generally the officers, who make most decisions.  And then there is outer board which mainly deals with decisions the inner board doesn't want to be blamed for.  I got to be treasurer and then vice president under presidents Prince, Grogan and MacArthur.  Believe me, I walked without a sound.

Mr. Johnny Marks:  Marshall
Governor, and author of
Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer


Being an anarchist didn't mean that anything goes. Once Goldwater told me that I could be president after he died.  I thought he meant that I could be president.  He actually meant that there was no fucking way I would be president while he was alive.  Some of the young people (now middle aged people) used to hang out, drink, smoke pot, and play Diplomacy in the basement.  It is said that there were cases where people actually lived at the club  (for example Israel Zilber, the first opponent in Tal's game collection).  These are different times, and whoever the president is, the basement will stay locked.    I now have to thank Mr. Goldwater for what I took fore granted, how he protected us for so long against overly authoritarian presidents.

GM Samuel Reshevsky

Dr. Chasin is not our first architect president.  Leon Haft was an architect.  He designed the nocturnal animal house at the Bronx Zoo.  He did some good things and some bad things like most people who do things.   He was one of several presidents who kicked me out of the office, but he made up with me the last time I saw him.   GM Sammy Reshevsky also kicked me out of the office, and it was my office at the time!   Anyhow the many international tournaments that Leon organized with GM Lombardy were great.  Their two "arm" tournament format was so successful at getting titles, that FIDE eventually banned it.  He also modified the apartments in the building to end rent stabilization.   Believe it or not, there was a time when the club had to lend the building money.   Leon's effort is largely responsible for putting the club on sustainable footing.




No comments:

Post a Comment